90 Player names possibly linked to PEDS Biogenesis

Postby Outlaw » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:09 am

The early info on this story alluded to a lot more names invloved, now it appears that may be right if we now know of 90 players linked to this operation. MLB has a bigger problem now if that number is true. You dont have that many players dealing with this clinic and that guy. He found/knew of way to get around the testing and the cheaters flocked to him.

I gotta beleive more than a few players will start telling the thruth when they start getting interviewed. There will be more than enough circumstantial eveidence to Get the top Guys like Braun, Arod, GIO... Anyone who believes Gio's cover story of it was his dad buying stuff for his (Dads) use is naive.

I say around FAAB week 8-12 the suspensions start hitting.

Bob Nightengale, USA TODAY Sports
PHOENIX -- Ryan Braun, the Milwaukee Brewers' All-Star outfielder, knows they are out there.

Everywhere he turns, everywhere he looks, they are there.

They are talking to his friends. They are talking to his peers. They are talking to his associates. They are scouring through paperwork. They keep digging.

They are the Major League Baseball investigators.

And Braun, five times an All-Star, the 2011 National League MVP and the only man known to successfully appeal an MLB-administered drug test, is their highest-profile target.

MORE: Minor league pitcher suspended 100 games

There are at least 90 baseball players, including Braun, whose names appear in the infamous Biogenesis Clinic records, according to one baseball official with direct knowledge of the investigation. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to discuss the matter because of privacy issues.

The Major League Baseball Players Association has contacted all of the players or the agents of players whose names surfaced in the records, but no major league player has been interrogated by MLB officials.

That will be coming, probably within the next two weeks, the official told USA TODAY Sports, although no firm deadline is set.

These players will have no choice but to talk to MLB officials. If they don't cooperate, MLB can suspend them, according to the bylaws of the collective bargaining agreement.

In some cases, according to two officials who spoke to USA TODAY Sports but were unauthorized to speak publicly, some players will be granted immunity even if they admit guilt to the use of performance-enhancing drugs. They would have to fully disclose their arrangement with Tony Bosch, former director of the now-shuttered Biogenesis clinic, including any possible involvement by their agents or knowledge of other players who received performance-enhancing drugs from him.
Outlaw

Re: 90 Player names possibly linked to PEDS Biogenesis

Postby headhunters » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 am

find the 90 players. suspend them. cancel the next 5 seasons and start over. because of concussions start a flag football league and cancel the nfl. running backs - having been taught to run low to the ground and players in general being taught "low man wins" will no longer be able to do that- so it is almost flag football now. cancel the olympics, the "tour de steroids" and make checking ilegal in hockey. that should take care of it.
headhunters

Postby DOUGHBOYS » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:15 pm

headhunters wrote:find the 90 players. suspend them. cancel the next 5 seasons and start over. because of concussions start a flag football league and cancel the nfl. running backs - having been taught to run low to the ground and players in general being taught "low man wins" will no longer be able to do that- so it is almost flag football now. cancel the olympics, the "tour de steroids" and make checking ilegal in hockey. that should take care of it.

You forgot sponges dipped in non-toxic paint to note marks when striking another in any boxing like sport.
Yes, we are a wussified America.
Just because a person writes a lot, it doesn't make them smart.
Take me, for instance....
DOUGHBOYS

Postby rockitsauce » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:55 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
headhunters wrote:find the 90 players. suspend them. cancel the next 5 seasons and start over. because of concussions start a flag football league and cancel the nfl. running backs - having been taught to run low to the ground and players in general being taught "low man wins" will no longer be able to do that- so it is almost flag football now. cancel the olympics, the "tour de steroids" and make checking ilegal in hockey. that should take care of it.

You forgot sponges dipped in non-toxic paint to note marks when striking another in any boxing like sport.
Yes, we are a wussified America.

Why does going after players abusing PEDS fall under the wussification of America ? Not sure what it has to do w/ the changes the NFL is talking about either.

If I was a major leaguer who wanted to compete CLEAN it would piss me off that another player could pop a pill or whatever and gain an unfair advantage in competing for a job. I'm old enough to remember images of Lyle Alzado when he was about to die, sure looked alot different than his playing days. Just b/c some players don't give a shit and will take the chance on their long term health doesn't mean ALL of them should be forced to consider using PEDS in order to keep playing. MLB & the Player's Union should protect them from that and GO AFTER these cheats.

P.S. Isn't there a Hanley thread overdue by now ? From what I read this morning he's out 2 months for surgery to repair a ligament in his thumb. Dodgers lucky Greinke is ok (seems) or it could be a bleak start to the season.
cogito, ergo sum.
rockitsauce

Postby headhunters » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:33 pm

actually rocket sauce i agree with you. my thoughts are way too long to post- but my point is sports are changing very rapidly and for variouis reasons they are not (for me) as exciting. in baseball- i totally agree with you- but everything is going to be dripped and drabbed as it has been for awhile- because the shock of going from 8-7 games in 2005 to 1-0 games in 2006 would have caused a big drop in attendence. (at least i think they believed that). these are smart people- does anyone really believe they thought 50 games would stop this- seriously? melky- i take steroids- i get caught i get suspended and i make 50 million. it is a sham. so they are going to do this very gradually and market "small ball" to us. like i said- they REALLY want to stop this- ist offense- banned for life. done. but the testing can not be mlb because the players can say some players would be targeted. one other off topic comment in the "sports aren't as good but they sure market them" categorey is the ncaa. many people love how "exciting" the games are. i look at this years field and think it is the worst group of college players i have ever seen. the top 10 teams would all get crushed by teams of 25 years ago. crushed. all the great players that would be in the ncaa are in the pros and they can promote it all they want- but the teams are just awful.
headhunters

Postby Outlaw » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:46 pm

Seems they are going all out to get to the bottom of this. Only a matter of time before people and players start cooperating. It is becoming clear that the Union is on board with this, as the union represents the majority of players who dont use PEDS. They probaly know who did what now, who was involved and are now attempting to tighten up thier "proof". Say what you want about Selig, but do not underestimate him using his bests interests of baseball powers if needed. Any player linked to this place would have to go the legal route should they decide to fight, Like Braun, and then they had better be darn sure they did nothing wrong or said player/s start getting in perjury. Same thing Armstrong is facing now, a boat load of perjury charges down the road.

MLB files suit against Biogenesis connections
By Paul Hagen / MLB.com | 3/22/2013 2:29 P.M. ET

Major League Baseball filed a lawsuit Friday against Anthony Bosch and five others connected to the South Florida anti-aging clinic that allegedly provided some of the game's biggest stars with performance-enhancing substances.

The suit, filed in the 11th judicial circuit in Miami-Dade County, Florida, charges that Bosch and his associates "actively participated in a scheme ... to solicit or induce Major League players to purchase or obtain PES (performing-enhancing substances) for their use in violation of MLB's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program."

The filing continues by saying that the defendants "intentionally and unjustifiably interfered" with MLB's drug program and as a result, "MLB has suffered damages, including the costs of investigation, loss of goodwill, loss of revenue and profits and injury to its reputation, image, strategic advantage and fan relationships."

In addition to Bosch, the operator of Biogenesis, defendants include Juan Carlos Nunez, a former employee of ACES sports agency who last year was involved in the Melky Cabrera fake website scheme and was subsequently banned by MLB, and Biogenesis partners Carlos Acevedo, Ricardo Martinez, Marcelo Albir and Paulo da Silveira. Biogenesis and its predecessor, Biokem LLC, are also named.

The filing asks for "monetary damages and other relief resulting from defendants' tortious interference with MLB's contractual relationships."

Cabrera, Alex Rodriguez, Ryan Braun, Gio Gonzalez and Nelson Cruz are among the players who are alleged to have been involved with Biogenesis. They were not mentioned in the lawsuit.

"MLB informed us in advance that they were filing that lawsuit," said Michael Weiner, executive director of the MLB Players Association. "They believe necessary to enforce, frankly, their contract with us, the Joint Drug Agreement, and the allegations are that the defendants interfered with that contract. We'll see where the lawsuit goes."

The suit, which alleges that Bosch provided players with PEDs that included testosterone, human growth hormone and human chorionic gonadotropin, could bring two benefits to MLB.

First, it seeks to recoup money, based on the premise that the individuals named have harmed the sport. Moreover, it could aid the ongoing investigation into the scandal. Lacking subpoena power, MLB has been limited in its attempt to gather information in its investigation, which has been ongoing since the Miami New Times first broke the story in January, saying it had documents that linked the players to Bosch and his clinic, and in some instances to specific PEDs. The newspaper recently declined to share the records with MLB.

If the lawsuit is allowed to proceed, it would allow baseball's investigators to subpoena records from the now-shuttered clinic and to compel depositions, and any evidence gathered could then be used to discipline the players involved. Without a positive drug test, documentary evidence or witness testimony would be needed for MLB to take disciplinary action.

"The Basic Agreement doesn't specify a threshold," Weiner said. "It just says that you can be suspended for a non-analytical positive even if you didn't test positive. It would be like any other disciplinary case, MLB has to prove the conduct occurred."

Legal experts said baseball's strategy was innovative, if unproven.

"This is a fundamental shift in dealing with performance-enhancing drug issues," Gabe Feldman, director of the sports law program at Tulane University and a lawyer who has represented athletes in disputes with professional leagues, told the New York Times. "It's an attempt to attack the problem at its source, and that is something different from how the leagues have approached it until now. It's been difficult for the leagues to target the distributors because they have had no power over them."

Added Steven Eckhaus, a New York lawyer with Katten Muchin Rosenman L.L.P.: "If I sold drugs to a baseball player, the league might say it damaged the goodwill of the league and its ability to make money and prosper. That's probably a good claim."

MLB instituted more rigorous testing standards in January, before the Biogenesis story broke. It was announced at the Owners Meetings in Paradise Valley, Ariz., that there would be year-round blood testing for human growth hormone as well as the establishment of individualized baseline testosterone levels to make variances easier to detect.

After the Biogenesis story came out, MLB revved up its own investigation of Bosch. It's unknown how much material has been obtained, although the New York Times reported that several people who have been associated with the clinic are now thought to be cooperating.

If the lawsuit succeeds, it will make it that much easier for MLB to get the information it needs to discipline any players who are found to have used PEDs.
Outlaw

Postby Outlaw » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:33 am

Not Only is MLB trying to stay out in front of this, the following intereview of the Union head is interesting. As was dripped previoulsy the Union also is cooperating and wants to posistion themselves as cooperating. The last sentence says a lot.

For what its is worth, I'm not interested in any player being wrongly accused including Braun, and as naive as it sounds I do not like players using PEDS, Drugs or whatever else they do illegaly. As a 24 yr old who coached 11-12 Yr old Little leaguers, I caught one of them smoking pot after practice by the practice field. I told his parents (mids 30's) and they said to me "you are too young to know anything and our son would not do that". I followed that kid through HS and by 19 he was a raging druggie. So I have no affinty for athletes who use drugs or PEDs and whenever I have dealt with young athletes I preach no drugs of any kind.

In terms of Fantasy, this story, the allegations, the players named, it could have a huge impact on all of us who play this game should any of this prove true. All I've done is post the latest goings on for others to do with the information what they choose to do.

From Milwaukee Sentinel
Union expects MLB to be 'professional' in investigation of Ryan Braun, others
Phoenix - Players association executive director Michael Weiner said Friday he expects Major League Baseball to be "professional" in its investigation of Milwaukee Brewers leftfielder Ryan Braun and all players connected to the controversial Biogenesis clinic.

News broke earlier in the day that MLB had filed suit against Biogenesis and several individuals associated with the Miami-area clinic for allegedly supplying illegal performance-enhancing drugs to baseball players. Players proven to have used PEDs are subject to suspension.

Whether the lawsuit is successful remains to be seen, but it is being viewed as another attempt by MLB to get cooperation in its investigation of the clinic. MLB does not have subpoena power and otherwise would need documentary evidence or witness testimony to suspend a player for using PEDs.

The Miami New Times, which originally broke the Biogenesis story, declined to turn over documents to MLB. If the suit goes forward, however, MLB would be able to subpoena records from the now-closed clinic.

"MLB informed us in advance that they were filing that lawsuit," said Weiner, who conducted his annual union meeting with Brewers players at Maryvale Baseball Park. "They believe it necessary to enforce their contract with us, the Joint Drug Agreement. The allegations are those individuals (associated with Biogenesis) interfered with that contract and we'll see where the lawsuit goes."

Weiner said he has had conversations with all players whose names surfaced in connection with Biogenesis and operator Tony Bosch, including Braun. The MLB names Bosch and five others connected to the clinic in its lawsuit.

"I caught up with Ryan in terms of what's occurred, statuses, but that was about it," said Weiner. "He had an 8 o'clock meeting with (team) staff and we just had a chance to say hello and catch up a little bit."

Earlier in the week, USA Today reported that MLB had specifically targeted Braun, who successfully appealed a positive drug test for testosterone in the winter of 2011-'12. The story said Braun was "MLB Public Enemy No. 1" and was determined to prosecute him.

In a response to the Journal Sentinel, MLB executive vice president Rob Manfred said all players connected to Biogenesis were being pursued with "equal vigor."

"MLB is disappointed that they lost the Ryan Braun case," said Weiner. "But they're professionals. They understand they lost the Ryan Braun case. We've lost cases that we fought and were disappointed, and players ended up sitting out for 50 games.

"I expect MLB is going to be professional with respect to all of the players whose names have surfaced in connection with the Biogenesis thing. Ryan is included.

"You hear all kinds of things. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't heard (MLB is out to get Braun). But what I'm going to say is I expect MLB to be professional, whether it's Ryan or any other player. To the extent they have any animus against Ryan because of the disappointment in the result of the arbitration case, I expect them to be professional."

Weiner said players would be able to appeal any sanctions MLB places on players because of "non-analytical positives" (something other than a positive drug test).

"MLB has to prove this conduct occurred, that a player used a banned substance or somehow otherwise violated the program," said Weiner. "It would be no different than if MLB wanted to discipline a player because he was involved in some other illegal or improper activity."

Weiner said he expects MLB to interview all players mentioned in connection with Biogenesis, including Braun.

"I expect those conversations are going to take place soon, either before or shortly after the season begins," said Weiner. "I remain hopeful that we're going to work together with MLB to get to the bottom of whatever, if anything, comes out of the Miami story. At this point, it's just a story.

"But if there's anything there that's in violation of the program, it's our job and responsibility to deal with it. And I hope that's the way we handle it."

Wiener added, "The players have, at this point, very little patience for players who intentionally violate the program."

By MANNY NAVARRO
mnavarro@MiamiHerald.com
Hoping to build cases and eventually suspend players who might have been supplied performance-enhancing drugs, Major League Baseball filed a lawsuit in state court against six employees and associates of Biogenesis and Biokem, alleging the South Florida-based anti-aging clinics helped damage the sport.
The lawsuit was filed in the 11th Judicial Circuit of Miami-Dade County on Friday and is an attempt to solve the longstanding problem baseball has had trying to discipline players who have been linked to PEDs but have not tested positive for banned substances.
“We believe we have a legitimate legal claim against the defendants,” MLB vice president Rob Manfred told USA Today, “and we intend to pursue it vigorously.”
Among those charged in the complaint: Anthony Bosch, program director of Biogenesis and Biokem; Juan Carlos Nunez, a former employee of agents Sam and Seth Levinson of ACES; Carlos Acevedo and Ricardo Martinez, two senior officers at the clinics; self-acclaimed chemist Paulo Da Silveira; and former University of Miami pitcher Marcelo Albir, who played at the school from 2004 to ’06.
“Due to the defendants’ actions, MLB has suffered damages, including the costs of investigation, loss of goodwill, loss of revenue and profits and injury to its reputation, image, strategic advantage and fan relationships,” according to the complaint.
While the suit says MLB seeks to recoup about $15,000 from those named, the league is hoping that the lawsuit forces those connected to the Biogenesis and Biokem clinics to fully cooperate with its investigators, perhaps leading to widespread suspensions. Citing a baseball official with direct knowledge of the investigation, USA Today reported there are at least 90 players whose names appear in the Biogenesis clinical records.
Former Hurricanes pitcher Cesar Carrillo, now in the minors with the Tigers, is the only player who has been disciplined for his connections to Biogenesis. He received a 100-game suspension last week after speaking to baseball investigators.
USA Today reported that the Major League Players Association has contacted all the players or the agents of players whose names surfaced in the records, but no major-league player has been interrogated by MLB officials yet.
The Miami New Times, which originally reported the relationship between Biogenesis and the athletes, announced last week that it would not turn its documents over to MLB officials. Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, 2011 National League MVP Ryan Braun of the Brewers and Melky Cabrera of the Blue Jays are among the biggest names linked to the clinic.
Outlaw

Postby poopytooth » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:42 am

Maybe instead of the year of the closers changing every week like last year, we will have an all star or two each week getting suspended... :D
"Jupinka fears Poopy" - Quahogs
poopytooth

Postby hot and cold » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:40 am

This will be a 2nd strike on Melky Cabrera . What is that 100 gms this time .Undraftable someone else take the headache .
hot and cold

Postby Outlaw » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:16 am

The lawsuit and compaint can be read here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... 024?pgno=1

What's clear is, it's not about money for MLB, as they are only asking for 15k from each person/company. They want information and are attempting to use this vehcile to get it. This was quite predictable once New Times refused to hand over documents. What is interesting is MLB seems to have been aware and had all these characters on thier radar siince 2009, airgo the whole timing of testing Braun and thier furstration with Braun winning his appeal. Some future names and shady companies that will be coming out are a Katherine Pearce, South Florida Elite LLC, Colonial services LLC, CJA Health Consultants LLC and Scores Sport LLC. The Carlos Acevedo character may prove to have a bigger role than Bosch.

As for Melky, he probably will go without furthur suspension, as it is dripping he has been cooperating with MLB. MLB would have a nightmare on thier hands if they tried/wanted or had to suspend possibly 90 players, that is why they are "leaking" those that cooperate will not get suspended.

Just from a pure fantasy persepctive it stinks if one chooses to factor this mess in and what it could mean when putting your team together. For those that wont conisder it or beleive its all BS, you may wake up one day this season and see one of your players suspended. Talk about FAAB strategy this year.
Outlaw

Postby Atlas » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:29 am

hot and cold wrote:This will be a 2nd strike on Melky Cabrera . What is that 100 gms this time .Undraftable someone else take the headache .

I don't see this as his second strike. They already suspended him for testing positive, ostensibly from the drugs he received from Biogenesis. I see this as a sort of "double jeopardy" (and I'm not an attorney, so forgive me if I'm applying this improperly). You can't prosecute someone twice for the same crime.
Atlas

Postby Navel Lint » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:45 am

Outlaw wrote:

Just from a pure fantasy persepctive it stinks if one chooses to factor this mess in and what it could mean when putting your team together. For those that wont conisder it or beleive its all BS, you may wake up one day this season and see one of your players suspended. Talk about FAAB strategy this year.

Gotta hedge your bet......

I would still draft Braun or Nelson Cruz, but then maybe you pick up Schafer or Borbon or whomever in the later rounds..... just in case. :shock:
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson
Navel Lint

Postby headhunters » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:28 am

ya- no problem. you pick braun first and if he goes down for 50-100 games you have schafer. sleep well. better idea- take the insurance and collect some $.
headhunters

Postby Packman » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:18 pm

headhunters wrote:ya- no problem. you pick braun first and if he goes down for 50-100 games you have schafer. sleep well. better idea- take the insurance and collect some $.

From Greg in another thread:

Re: Fantasy Sports Insurance Top 100 Player List

Postby Greg Ambrosius » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:33 am
Just another heads up involving the free insurance this year: Players do not collect on suspensions, just injuries. We had a few folks ask about a 50-game suspension being covered and that's not the case here. It's for injuries, so plan accordingly when picking your players for this.
Packman

Postby headhunters » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:32 pm

as gilda radner used to say "never mind"
headhunters

Postby Navel Lint » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:58 pm

So.....Was anyone scared by the new "news"?

Did Braun drop out of the top 3 in any of yesterdays Main Event leagues?
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson
Navel Lint

Postby Money » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Navel Lint wrote:So.....Was anyone scared by the new "news"?

Did Braun drop out of the top 3 in any of yesterdays Main Event leagues?

He dropped to 5th in the 12 team Super. I was the scared guy in the 3 hole. Most of the drafts I saw had him going third.
Joe
Money

Postby Wolfpac » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:52 pm

I happily took him 3rd in my main event league, and i pick 5 this weekend, and if he makes it to me there I will take him again and then just root extra hard for no suspension :|
Wolfpac

Postby TOXIC ASSETS » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:09 am

With the kind of money on the line in these events, the threat of a high first round draft pick being suspended for 50 games ought to be enough to keep anyone from drafting him. Just the cloud that may or may not be hanging around him all year might be enough to keep his stats at much lower levels. Wouldn't touch this guy. Period.
TOXIC ASSETS

Return to General NFBC Discussion