Team NFBC Drafts 6th In The 2018 FSTA League

Postby Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:54 pm

The 2018 FSTA Industry Draft will be broadcast live on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio on Monday, Jan. 22nd from the Westin Los Angeles starting at 8 pm ET. This is a 14-team, 29-round draft that will conclude on the air. Tune in and enjoy the results.

In past years, the entire draft was done live and broadcast on the air. However, it was always tough to get 29 rounds in during the 3-hour broadcast and many of the later rounds would be held off the air.

This year, the group agreed to start with an email portion of the draft and then to finish in Los Angeles. This way SiriusXM would have plenty of content from the early rounds and be able to wrap up the draft on the air. This has been a lot of fun to start in advance of the live draft and to plan for the remaining 20 or so rounds live. According to SiriusXM, the draft will air from 8 to 10 pm ET on Monday, Jan. 22nd. Enjoy.

Here's a look at the draft board, the first 7 rounds worth of picks and more to come:

rtsports.com/fsta

Myself, Tom and Darik are teaming up to lead Team NFBC, which grabbed the 6th pick. We actually were selected 11th by the computer, but five teams moved to the bottom of the draft order before us. We were left with picks 6-9 and chose 6. We led off with this young team through Round 7:

Bryce Harper - Round 1 (6th overall)
George Springer - Round 2 (23rd overall)
Alex Bregman - Round 3 (34th overall)
Robbie Ray - Round 4 (51st overall)
Byron Buxton - Round 5 (62nd overall)
Buster Posey - Round 6 (79th overall)
Corey Knebel - Round 7 (90th overall)
Luis Castillo - Round 8 (107th overall)

We chose not to chance certain categories and went with players we felt were too valuable to pass up. That means we are currently short on Starting Pitching, but we feel that there are still a lot of good SPs to get yet. We easily could have taken one in each of the last three rounds, but held off and will be ready for the run. In fact, we may lead it.

Feel free to check out the draft board and provide feedback. Who do you think we'll get with our next pick? Any teams you really like so far? Enjoy and wish us best of luck.

Tom and I won the FSTA's football draft this year, our first FSTA title. We had the most points during the regular season and won in Weeks 15 and 16 to win the title. We beat Howard Bendar of Fantasy Alarm in the Championship Game. Now we're trying for two titles in a row and have grabbed Darik's NFBC experience to build this team. Should be fun to see how it all plays out, but we like our start so far. Agree or disagree with the start?

Thanks all and enjoy. Keep an eye on the draft board to see who the industry writers are targeting in 2018.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius
Greg Ambrosius

Re: Team NFBC Drafts 6th In The 2018 FSTA League

Postby Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:10 am

Just a reminder that the FSTA Industry Draft will be broadcast on Monday starting at 8 pm ET from Los Angeles. We did eight rounds in a slow draft format over the last two weeks and will now finish the last 21 rounds in Los Angeles. Listen in if you'd like.

Here's the link again along with our first 8 picks:

rtsports.com/fsta
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius
Greg Ambrosius

Postby Thurman15 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:26 am

I think you have done fairly well guys. Bryce Harper is Bryce Harper so good pick there. I really like Robbie Ray in the 4th round, I believe he is closer to the "big boys" than a lot of people think. But you do need to grab another starter pretty darn soon since Luis Castillo is no sure thing. And I'd wait a fair bit for your 2nd closer. You got a solid one, but now you are concentrating on a starter and some more power. As you guys know, it takes a lot of power these days to score high in those categories. Personally I only trust Buxton's speed. To me the jury is out on the rest of his skill. But Bregman will only get better and can (and will) contribute a fair bit to all categories. I'm giving you a B, but what the hell do I know ? Find another starter that seems fairly solid in era and ratio, and I bump you to B plus. Have fun guys, show them how good the NFBC is. From Thurman15 (Al Holmes)
Thurman15

Postby Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:52 pm

Just a reminder that the FSTA Industry Draft is tonight starting at 8 ET on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio. We already are through 8 rounds and will do the last 21 rounds on the air from 8 to 11 pm ET. Enjoy.

Here's the draft board to follow every pick:

https://rtsports.com/fsta
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius
Greg Ambrosius

Postby Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:56 am

We got through 10 rounds in Los Angeles and still have 11 rounds to finish in the FSTA Draft. We are doing that now via a slow draft format. If you want to get caught up on the draft, here it is again:

https://rtsports.com/fsta

We have the YOUNGEST team in the league. We'll see if that leads to the best team in the league. Andy thoughts on this interesting start by Team NFBC? ;)
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius
Greg Ambrosius

Postby Tom Kessenich » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:39 am

Current roster

C-Buster Posey
1B-Carlos Santana
2B-Yoan Moncada
SS-Alex Bregman
3B-Rafael Devers
CI-Brandon Belt
MI-Tim Anderson
OF-Bryce Harper
OF-George Springer
OF-Byron Buxton
OF-Aaron Altherr

P-Robbie Ray
P-Luis Castillo
P-Zack Godley
P-Alex Wood
P-Ervin Santana
P-Alex Cobb
P-Corey Knebel
P-Mark Melancon
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich
Tom Kessenich

Postby ChipChopChip » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:57 am

I like the team you guys put together. I can't say I love the Belt pick, but other than that looks pretty solid.
ChipChopChip

Postby Tom Kessenich » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:01 pm

ChipChopChip wrote:I like the team you guys put together. I can't say I love the Belt pick, but other than that looks pretty solid.

The massive decline in average is a concern but he should be good for 20-25 HRs and I feel like we need some more power.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich
Tom Kessenich

Postby DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:07 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:
ChipChopChip wrote:I like the team you guys put together. I can't say I love the Belt pick, but other than that looks pretty solid.

The massive decline in average is a concern but he should be good for 20-25 HRs and I feel like we need some more power.

That ball park kicks his ass, Tom. And now, concussions are a problem.
He is 30 this year and has never hit 20 homers in a season in his career.

Edit- 98 home runs in a seven year career. Average of 14 per year.
64 of those 98 home runs, on the road.
Last edited by DOUGHBOYS on Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!
DOUGHBOYS

Postby Tom Kessenich » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:14 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Tom Kessenich wrote:

That ball park kicks his ass, Tom. And now, concussions are a problem.
He is 30 this year and has never hit 20 homers in a season in his career.

He hit 18 in 104 games last season. Not out of the question to project 20+ if he can play in 140+ games. He's been at 17 or 18 in four of the past five seasons. I'm more concerned about consecutive seasons of average decline. I think he'll give us the power we want but I hope it doesn't come at the cost of a putrid batting average.

Oh and if it fails we'll blame Darik since he's the one who officially made the pick. :)
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich
Tom Kessenich

Postby DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:17 pm

Good luck with Belt.
A trade would be awesome for him.
Last edited by DOUGHBOYS on Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!
DOUGHBOYS

Postby ChipChopChip » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:24 pm

The only team I like better is the Baseball HQ team.
ChipChopChip

Postby Yah Mule » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:42 pm

I think you could use some more power hitters.
Yah Mule

Postby Tom Kessenich » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:30 am

Yah Mule wrote:I think you could use some more power hitters.

I agree. I think that needs to remain a focus the rest of our draft. If we keep adding guys who can hit 15-20 HRs I think we'll be in good shape.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich
Tom Kessenich

Return to General NFBC Discussion/Contest Info